Computer Information Systems Course Syllabus (Fall 2017-20)
Technical College High School ~ Pennocks Bridge Campus

    Instructor: Mr. Fuchs, CIS
Computer Science Chairperson
Technical College High School &
Delaware County Community College, Room B216
(610) 345-1800 Extension 2076
mrfuchs@students.cciu.org
pfuchs@dccc.edu
philf@cciu.org
Web Sites: HTTP://CIS.TCHS.INFO
HTTP://EDU.TCHS.INFO
HTTPS://TT.TCHS.INFO
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 7:30am - 7:45am
Or By Appointment
Objectives: This course examines the underlying foundation and principles of Computer Science via the following subject areas (Listed Chronologically):
  1. An Introduction to Computer Science (Required for ALL Students)
  2. Application Development & Programming (CS Major Track A)
    • Application Development & Programming Prerequisite Assessments
    • Computer Science: A Structured Approach Using C++
    • Boolean Logic: Bitwise Operators and Binary Masks
    • Programming Language Concepts and Paradigms
    • Traditional -vs- Visual Application Development
    • Programming Fundamentals with Harrisburg University
    • Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science (HU CISC 120)
    • Introduction to Object Oriented Programming with DCCC
    • Video Game Design Research and Applications


  3. Introduction to Python, PHP, JAVA and Website Programming (Track B)
    • Web Site Development Prerequisite Assessments
    • Basics of Web Design HTML5 & CSS3 (DCCC IMM120)
    • Introduction Oracle Academy Online including Alice, Greenfoot, Eclipse IDE, and Java Platform (JDK)
    • Suggested reading: Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science (Textbook) & PHP Programming with MySQL (Textbook).
    • Exploring the Internet, Research Activities
    • Web Page Development: HTML, JavaScript, & JAVA
    • Introduction to Java Programming (DCCC DPR104)
    • Building a Web Site with PHP, Python, CGI, and MySQL


  4. Analysis of Computer Science Foundations (Hybrid Track C)
    • Computer Science Research Project & Technology Reports
    • Exploring the Relationship Between Programming and Great Video Games Designs
    • JAVA Connections with Oracle Academy, Alice, and Greenfoot
    • Programming Analysis with C/C++, Python3, JAVA, MySQL, or PHP
    • History of Video Games and Programming
    • Reverse Engineering and Professional Reviews
    • Large-Scale Design Process
    • Global Economy and Supply Chain
    • Programming and Simulation Composition
    • Video Game Programming Research
    • VirtualBox by Oracle (http://www.virtualbox.org)
    • Creating Bootable Live CDs/DVDs
    • LAMP, WAMP, & MAMP PC Configurations
    • Multiple Operating Systems Installation & Configuration

    • Final Exams, Student Portfolios, Projects, and Reports
      (Due before Memorial Day is observed)

What are the course requirements for a student entering CIS?

Class participation and attendance will be graded daily which is at least 15% of a student's final grade for this course. Weekly assignments/projects, independent research, and teacher observations/assessments will be scored as the remainder 85% of the final marking-period grade. Therefore, it is imperative that every student arrives prepared for class and can meet the course requirements listed below:


How will CIS students be evaluated?

Student evaluations are based upon daily observations, class participation, research projects, and final assessments. Here's how the evaluations are categorized:

40%   Computer Science Projects
30%   Examinations & Final Exam
15%   Lab Participation & Volunteering
15%   Research Evidence & Development

Note, all TCHS/CIS students are required to to download then complete enrollment forms upon the first two weeks of class.

Syllabus Change Policy:
The above documentation is not inclusive and is designed as a general outline. The teacher or professor is the primary voice in the planning, development, implementation, monitoring, and refinement of curricula. Academic and professional freedoms are essential to the teaching profession. The teacher or professor reserves the right to make changes to this syllabus as advertised online at: CIS.TCHS.INFO

"By academic freedom I understand the right to search for truth and to publish and teach what one holds to be true. This right implies also a duty: one must not conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true. It is evident that any restriction on academic freedom acts in such a way as to hamper the dissemination of knowledge among the people and thereby impedes national judgment and action... Without such freedom there would have been no Shakespeare, no Goethe, no Newton, no Faraday, no Pasteur, no Lister." ~ Albert Einstein